Photo Credit - Target Photography:
The Canalta Hotels AJHL Player of the Week is Eric Martin of the Drumheller Dragons. With 8 points in three games, the 19 year-old forward led the league in scoring from November 25th – December 1st.
Eric Martin (Calgary, AB) opened the scoring with two goals against the visiting Whitecourt Wolverines on Thursday night and lifted his team to 5-3 win. On Friday night, the Dragons would fall 4-2 to the league leading Brooks Bandits. Martin scored both goals for the Dragons and was awarded as the Viterra AJHL Star of the Game for the fifth time this season. Drumheller closed out the weekend with a 10-2 win over Calgary and a 4-point game for Martin as he recorded 4 assists in the victory.
The second year Dragon leads the team in scoring with 38 points (16G, 22A). Martin and the Dragons are third in the Viterra AJHL South Division with a record of 17-10-2.
Bonnyville Pontiacs defenceman Jeremy Gervais recorded 7 points last week and has been selected as the Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week.
The Pontiacs picked up three wins in a four-game road trip through the South division last week. The trip began with a 6-3 loss to the Olds Grizzlys on Tuesday. Gervais would pick up one assist in the loss, then doubled his point total in Calgary the following night. The Pontiacs redeemed themselves with a 6-0 shutout over the Calgary Canucks and 2 assists for Gervais, including an assist on the opening goal, which would become the eventual game winner. On Friday night, the Pontiacs defeated the Okotoks Oilers 6-2 as Gervais kept his point streak alive with his fourth assist of the trip. Gervais added 3 assists on Saturday night as Bonnyville ended the trip with a 5-4 overtime win in Canmore.
Gervais, 20, is fourth in team scoring and 5th among AJHL Defencemen with 21 points (5G, 16A). The Pontiacs hold third spot in the Viterra AJHL North Division at 19-8-2.
Canalta Hotels AJHL Player of the Week Recipients:
• September 13-15, 2019 - Cody Laskosky, Camrose Kodiaks
• September 16-22, 2019 - Arjun Atwal, Sherwood Park Crusaders
• September 23-29, 2019 - Carter Savoie, Sherwood Park Crusaders
• September 30-October 6, 2019 - Alex Young, Canmore Eagles
• October 7-13, 2019 - Randy Hernández, Brooks Bandits
• October 14-20, 2019 - Connor Lyons, Canmore Eagles
• October 21-27, 2019 - Zafir Rawji, Olds Grizzlys
• October 28 - November 3, 2019: Randy Hernández, Brooks Bandits
• November 4-10, 2019: Jakob Lee, Brooks Bandits
• November 11-17, 2019: Jack Works, Okotoks Oilers
• November 18-24, 2019: Alex Young, Canmore Eagles
• November 25-December 1, 2019: Eric Martin, Drumheller Dragons
Alberta Ford Dealers AJHL Defensive Player of the Week:
• September 13-15, 2019 - Matt Davis, Spruce Grove Saints
• September 16-22, 2019 - Kaeden Lane, Grande Prairie Storm
• September 23-29, 2019 - Easton Hesse, Bonnyville Pontiacs
• September 30-October 6, 2019 - Michael Benning, Sherwood Park Crusaders
• October 7-13, 2019 - Tim Rego, Brooks Bandits
• October 14-20, 2019 - Ashton Abel, Okotoks Oilers
• October 21-27, 2019 - Kabore Dunn, Fort McMurray Oil Barons
• October 28 - November 3, 2019: Carter Gylander, Sherwood Park Crusaders
• November 4-10, 2019: Ashton Abel, Okotoks Oilers
• November 11-17, 2019: Eric Ward, Drayton Valley Thunder
• November 18-24, 2019: Ethan Edwards, Spruce Grove Saints
• November 25-December 1, 2019: Jeremy Gervais, Bonnyville Pontiacs